If you have never worn a wig before or have limited wig experience, you might be hesitant when it comes to wig selection. Here at Secrets of a Duchess, we want to let you in on one of our secrets: millions of people wear wigs every day! With some wonderful and quality wigs out there, you likely don’t even realize when you are looking at someone with a wig. If you are looking to purchase a wig, we have some great tips that can help you in the selection process.
- Begin with measuring your head circumference. Wigs are not a one-size-fits-all item! Before you start you wig selection, measure around your hairline, from the top of your forehead down to the nape of your neck. Note the measurement and bring it with you while wig shopping.
- Factor your lifestyle into the type of wig you should choose. If you are at a desk job without a lot of traveling or movement, you can select from a variety of wigs. However, if your job or lifestyle is very active, you might want to consider wigs that are especially breathable and well-fitted, so you don’t need to worry about your wig slipping or shifting.
- Do a bit of research on the hair types available for wigs. There are several different types of hair that wigs are made from, namely human hair, heat-friendly synthetics and synthetic hair. Each has its own list of pros and cons, and our experts can point you in the right direction of what will be best for you.
- Consider the different types of wig caps that would be most comfortable for you. A comfortable, well-fitting wig cap can help you wear a wig with confidence. Let a wig expert help you when looking through the different varieties and materials.
- Find a wig to suit your face shape. Wigs, like hairstyles, will flatter you when you have customized them to your own unique look. Determining the shape of your face will help you drastically narrow down the styles and looks for you to choose from.
- Start your experience with something close to your natural hair color and current style. If you are nervous about getting a wig, start with something that is close to your natural hair color and venture further from there!
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions. No one is a natural wig expert! Our team has years of experience that we use to help our clients. Don’t be afraid to ask us any questions you might have– we hear it all!
- Take care of your wig for lasting beauty. Maintenance of your wig will help you get the best in styling and results. Always wash your wig gently at least every 30 wears, or more if you are active or around strong smells (i.e. cigarette smoke) on a regular basis.
- Enjoy your beautiful new ‘do! After you have found a well-fitting, confidence-inducing wig, enjoy your new look!
If you have any questions about working with wigs, our team here at Secrets of a Duchess would love to help you! Please give us a call or stop in today.